Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Are Summer Breaks To Long?


My sister-n-law and I were just talking about this, and I have been pondering it. I am wanting to write my thoughts down and so you all get to read my rambling thoughts...I would also love to hear your opinions!
Last night we had a cookie social with my kids school. It was a way for the kids to reunite with their buds and teachers and for the new families to fellowship and get acquainted with everyone. It was a good time and I realized how much I really missed seeing everyone and how loved my kids are by The River Academy community. It was really quite a nice evening. One theme I heard through out the evening is that everyone is ready for school, and anxious to get started, that the kids need to get back into their routines etc. So, it brought me back to my conversation with Signe, is summer break to long? Really, 3 months to hang out with friends, sleep in, and travel? Brant and I have a hard time filling the 3 months because the grind still happens here. We can't totally take the summer off with them. Yes, I know we need to establish routines at home over the summer, but we failed miserably...I think it's because we know that having everyone home isn't the routine, so establishing a new one over the summer between trips and stuff is hard. Aren't we striving to prepare them for life as adults? Maybe more frequent breaks through out the year for 2-3 weeks at a time makes more sense? Or, maybe the point is to give the kids and the parents a long break so we are all REALLY READY for school to start come Sept. Hmmm...I'm sure I will not turn into Miss Popularity over these thoughts and I'm not so insistent about it that I would take it to the board at The River Academy. I also realize that the summer is almost over and I am ready for them to go back, maybe next spring I will be begging for 3 months off? What do you think?

7 comments:

Signe said...

They are way too long! If I was homeschooling I wouldn't take this much time off. I think originally summer breaks were partly so kids were home to help on the farm. If you push for a shorter summer break have them throw in an extra week off at Christmas :)

Krista said...

Well, I'm not sure what your school year looks like, but we only got 2 months off. Wenatchee didn't get out until the 18th of June and my husband started back this week. That's like 2 months and half a week. And it wasn't nearly long enough because 3 trips meant we weren't home at all. It would have been nice to have some space between them, but it's the only time we can go. We can't take vacation in the middle of the year. Maybe it's "3" months so the teachers can have a break, ya know? :)

Rachel said...

Hey Krista,

You all had 2 months...I think 2 would have been much easier. It's this last month where we are all anxious and ready to go...The River got out the beg of June and we don't go back until Sept 9th. 3 months is a long time and Brant does not have that much vacation...Hey, are you planning to do Moms Bible Study this year? I am really looking forward to it! Hope to see you soon!

Paula said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kelly said...

I think you should move back to Moscow and time would fly in the summer hanging out with our family and the Schumakers! Ed

Rachel said...

Thanks Ed fo the post...I know it is your way of telling us that we are missed! I have to say it has been a LONG summer without all of you AND we are SOOOO missing the Schumakers that we just want to plop ourselves right there with them into their home and never go away...To bad we have to work and educate and stuff...

Nell said...

A local Christian school has either a 10 month or 12 month program. I'd have to learn more about the 12 month but if it weren't as long of a day or as many days during the week I'd put them into that program for sure.